To provide independent information about reasonably priced funeral services and to arrange, in advance of death, for our members and their families such lawful disposition of their remains as they desire.
Who We Are
Created in 1956, the Memorial Society of BC is a non-profit, non-sectarian organization, registered and operating under the BC Societies Act. It operates under the direction of a volunteer board of directors.
Did You Know?
- Memorial Societies are the only source of independent consumer information about funerals in North America
- A funeral can be, without the guidance of a memorial society, one of the four most expensive purchases most people will make
- Becoming a member of the Memorial Society will facilitate planning and result in significantly discounted funeral costs for residents of B.C.
To provide independent information about reasonably priced or discounted funeral services, and the end of life choices available to residents of BC. To encourage funeral planning as an essential part of consumer awareness and protection.
- To assist members plan in advance of death for the disposition of their body
- To assist and support the bereaved in making end of life arrangements
- To promote environmentally sound arrangements for disposition of a loved one’s body
- To ensure the availability of affordable (discounted) funeral arrangements through written contracts with approved funeral services providers and to monitor the practices and performance of funeral services providers
- To engage in educational and public awareness programs that support these purposes
- To promote the continuance of a dynamic and responsible society regarding end of life care
Disposition of the body.
When you die, your next of kin need to know your wishes for the disposition of your body. You should prepare a written statement specifying what is to be done: burial, cremation, or donation. (These choices are included in the MSBC Arrangement Form. This form does not require an attorney or a notary public.)
Option 1: Simple cremation with no other service
Option 2: Burial with no other service
Option 3: Cremation or burial with memorial service
“I saw your ad in the Province and thought I should respond. My wife's parents put us on to you many years ago. Since then they have both passed as well as my parents. They were all members. Your help was nothing short of excellent.”
Bill B. Surrey, B.C